Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kingery...Is that you?

Drum roll, Please….TA DA!!
CHEESE STRAWS!

I know, I know ladies. I am super late with putting this recipe up, but it has been crazazy around here. Here is a list of my excuses:

1. My oven was broken…I was preheating it for my bread that I bake every Sunday when a piece of metal broke though the heating element. It looked like I had a welder working in my oven. Yikes!! Anyhoo- it’s all better now.

2. My best friend was married this past weekend in Birmingham, AL and I was out of town.

3. Robby and I visited my folks in Louisiana the weekend before that and I was 2 states away from my computer.

4. I just plain didn’t want to. Because every time I do…I eat them ALL and gain 25 pounds, and then enter a state of grief for a very long time…about a minute and a half to be exact.

But, the sweetest friend asked me for the recipe and I really think she would make them! I have had the pleasure of seeing Katie Kingery twice this month, the first being a bachelorette party where she fell in love with these. So I am FORCED to make Cheese Straws for Katie. I don’t have a choice. We Katie’s have to stick together. So I hope you realize how painful this is for me…especially when they melt in your mouth. Darn you Katie…these 25 pounds are for you!!

I used a fancy cookie press for these, but I really like the cut ones better!!

Cheese Straws

Pantry Players:
1 and 2/3 c un-bleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces at room temp
14 oz extra sharp cheddar, grated at room temp
2 ½ tbs water

The Main event:

1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, dry mustard, & cayenne pepper.
3. Mix together the butter and grated cheddar for several minutes using a standing mixer. (No fingers Kristen!) Mix until blended
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients into mixer until completely incorporated.
5. Add water and continue mixing for another minute.
6. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead several times. Roll dough (like a pie crust) to about a ¼ inch thickness.
7. Cut strips about ¼ inch thick and 5 inches long. (sometimes I like mine a little thinner.)
8. Place strips on un-greased cookie sheet about ½ inches apart and bake for 12-15 min or until browned.
9. Cool before serving!! And then stuff your face and blame Katie K for obscene weight gain!!

This is what I drank while making the cheese straws...beware- no one should ever attempt these without a bloody mary!!
Ok...now you are warned!!


So I hope you all try them out. I tend to make mine a little spicy, so if you are a wimp just add less spicy stuff!! Let me know how they turn out!

No comments: